His First Real Camera

I gave my 6 year old son Cameron his first real camera today. He had been asking me for one for the past 6 months and he was very clear he wanted one like mine with a proper viewfinder, so no point and shoots would do. I told him I would be keeping my eye out for a good deal on a camera for him and today was the day. Cameron is now the happy owner of a good old Canon 20D! A camera I have a lot of experience with, as I shot one for a very long time back in the 20D days. He loves the camera and I think it will suit him just fine while he dips his toes into the wonderful world of photography.

When I gave Cameron the camera he was super excited and happy! I quickly showed him the basics and he ran out the door to shoot photos. I caught up with him about 45 minutes later and he was still wondering around the block taking pictures. We passed by this tree and he ask me to hold his camera. He shot up the tree, I gave him is camera back and he started taking pictures of this dog that was sitting in the grass. I’d say he’s got the right idea about getting a unique shot. Who knows, we just might have another photographer in the family. πŸ™‚

Cameron’s Photo – Click to view in a larger size.

Click photos to view in a larger size.

Thanks for stopping by, Rob

Advertisements

101 Comments

1. My youngest son started early in life as well. His first camera was a Nickelodian camera right after digital started coming out. He LOVED that little pixelated wonder. He later graduated to video, then back to still. He second shoots for me at weddings. For our family he is a third generation photographer as my dad did professional work in the darkroom.

2. Great job Rob, it’s a really nice thing a parent can do to their children often we forget! πŸ˜€ Having said that my son and daughter used to fight for the camera when they were young, but not lost the interest! Do post your sons shoots too! It will be interesting. πŸ™‚

3. Amazing. I just love this. Can you show me how to use a camera after you have taught your son? Please keep posting his photos.

4. Even at 27years old, I still don’t have a camera :(. Still using my mobile phones camera to take photos. Congrats on your son. He has a great future ahead.

5. That’s great! Its really great to start Photography at so small age. There are kids who don’t know what they are doing at that point of time but he really is inside that field. That’s a great thing. Sending great wishes to him and his great daddy. β›… Good luck for future minnie photographer 😊

I have just started, something with my Android. πŸ™‚

6. I wish I had your sons patience when I was his age! My father is a keen photographer and I wish I had taken an interest earlier, now looking to invest in a beginners camera to start shooting!

Lovely post! And Cameron has captured your dog beautifully!

1. Hey Rob, I have bitten the bullet and after much deliberation, gone for a compact mirror less system. It’s a Sony A6000, it’s a perfect city camera and I can’t wait to get started!

Thanks for the inspiring post! It was either a camera or a new phone, I’m so glad it’s the camera!!

2. Oh Remy, that is awesome! I’m so happy to hear you got yourself a nice new camera! I used to have one of those and it is indeed a wonderful camera! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures you take with it! πŸ™‚

7. Aw, this is how I got started in photography – by my dad giving me his old camera and as I got older letting me go out and travel with his gear. What a precious memory your son will hold with him forever!

8. Happy, Happy, Happy! The pic of the dog is one of the best I have ever seen on this blog. ( πŸ˜€ kidding!)
    Hmm…. Cameron …. camera …..coincidence?
    Anyway, if he finds any street art, I’ll post the pics!
    Oh, my 1000 Post is up, and I hope you love it!

9. That’s so cool that your son has that creative passion when he is that young. I’m sure he will be very passionate with photography